Thursday, July 30, 2009

Hall's Honeysuckle

Lonicera japonica var. halliana - Hall's Honeysuckle

Hall's Honeysuckle
Hall's Honeysuckle - buds, new flowers white, old flowers yellow


My favourite vine for part sun. I have heard that in other places this is invasive (by seeds spreading and by spreading and rooting as it goes and occasionally popping up from the roots... I have had none of these problems.) but I have never had that problem here in zone 5. It does look fantastic by late June when it is covered with white and yellow flowers that fill my back yard with a Jasmine-like fragrance for several weeks. I find it will flower off and on through the rest of the summer as well but never as much at one time as it does in June. I grow mine in part sun where it gets some morning sun (in my neighbour's yard) and some late afternoon sun in my yard. It is at the top of a slope in clay where I would expect runoff to be a huge problem... but it never seems to dry out. I don't water this thing, I barely fertilize (only to keep the yellow leaves they're fairly well known for away) and this plant just keeps on growing. Going to do a major pruning of it next spring as after 4-5 years it is starting to get a little large for the small trellis I have mine growing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment