Thursday, August 6, 2009

Athyrium 'Burgundy Lace'

I just got this and I'm super happy about it. I've been growing 'Ghost' in a bed I landscaped which has been growing well in shade with even moisture so I assume this will need the same. Seems to be a fairly easy fern and very attractive ('Ghost' is perfect for really dark areas because the light fronds stand out amazingly well, 'Burgundy Lace' seems like a great option for getting red into a shade garden without resorting to Coral Bells - which I have no problem with but sometimes you need choices!). Should reach about a foot or so all around. It'll be in good soil when it gets in the ground because I'd gotten my soil perfect for my hardy ground orchid... which then vanished without a trace... so it should do well as long as I keep it watered.


Athyrium 'Burgundy Lace'
Athyrium 'Burgundy Lace'


Red on the fronds varies from almost fully red to little to none giving the plant an interesting multicoloured look - I suspect the newer leaves are more red fading with age? Will have to wait until next spring to confirm.

No comments:

Post a Comment