Thursday, June 25, 2009

Roses

Two new roses this year:


Rose 'Sexy Rexy'
Florabunda Rose 'Sexy Rexy'

Rose 'Yellow Jacket'
Shrub Rose 'Yellow Jacket'


We'll see how these work out. I haven't tried too many roses, my yard is very shady (not to mention small) and the landscaping work I've been doing hasn't made any high maintenance shrubs or perennials practical (upcoming Hydrangea post will cover one moderate maintenance shrub that I grow for the leaves - it's a zone 6 and will grow and flower in a sheltered spot in zone 5 but in an exposed spot like I have it it will likely only just survive by dying back and coming up from the roots but I'm getting off topic) though I've wanted one or two around for a while now. on top of these two new roses I'm also growing a red carpet rose which is doing extremely well without any work at all (I wish I still had the tag!) likely because it's sheltered and gets a good deep snow cover that sticks around all winter.

NOID Red Carpet Rose
Red Carpet Rose


I do not claim to be any sort of rose expert but I'm hoping these work out as well as my carpet rose and that I'll find myself with enough sun and enough space to get to know these a little better someday. Next post will likely cover a more shade tolerant plant so I'll have a little more to say.

3 comments:

  1. Hey. I saw your comment at PATSP about aquarium plants and wanted to ask you what you thought of Lysimachia. I read around and it looks like people use it in aquariums pretty often, and I already had some, so I took some cuttings and planted them in the tank. So far, they seem to be doing fine, but it's been less than a week, too.

    I'm very much hoping you'll have nice things to say, both because they're already planted and because if they work, it will be very pretty: I've got blue gravel, green Echinodorus, and then the chartreuse Lysimachia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried it personally (especially not from terrestrial cuttings) but I've heard it is a great versatile (at work we sell it as a perennial ground cover, in the annual department as a trailing plant and in the pond shop as a hardy marginal and I've seen it for sale at fish stores before) plant. I think I will try though, I've got some of the green and some of the yellow growing outside and an empty tank where I can try them out.

    I would look into root tabs for your sword as they can be pretty heavy feeders and unlike most stem plants which take a large part of their nutrients from the water column swords are mostly root feeders and most blue gravel has little to help them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know. I'm going to look into fertilizer as soon as I get a chance, but at the moment there's not a lot of money, and even less time.

    I did notice, in the pictures I found, that the growth habit appears to change a lot when Lysimachia is used in aquariums: the leaf pairs get further apart, and the stems grow more or less straight up. Some of the stuff I had outdoors was doing that already, after a fashion, but if the photos I found are any indication, it'll become a lot more pronounced once the cuttings root. Which is fine with me.

    ReplyDelete